20080416

seasonal

things have changed a lot around here in the past few months, and by here i mean my desk. After January's renewed documentation of my life kick, February brought a period of reflecting on what I want to do with my free time, what I think I should be doing with my free time and why. In an unsurprising turn of events, I revealed to myself that I spent a lot of time sitting around on the Internet not doing things I really wanted to do. I was telling myself that I needed to read every item that came through my feed reader in order to stay on top of things that didn't really matter in the first place. So I drastically reduced the number of feeds I subscribe to, and I've stopped feeling badly about not keeping up with their posting pace every day.

Instead, I've spent more time exercising, reading, and cooking. I re-read Brave New World, Fragile Things, Smoke and Mirrors, and Wise Child. I am currently reading Paradox of Choice, by Barry Schwartz and I hope to have a review of it here once I'm finished. We got an elliptical machine, set up a fitness room, and finished organizing the yoga room so it feels like a more inviting space. We bought a new cookbook, Giada De Laurentiis's Everyday Italian, and are still trying lots of new recipes. With these changes, I want to renew my blog in a way that better reflects these loves instead of providing commentary on any internet article related to my academic specialty of gender and science education.

I can't promise extensive blogging since I no longer spend long pointless hours parked in front of my computer, but I hope to at least keep you salivating over my latest culinary attempts.
Last week: torta de pasta, and chicken spezzatini. The torta is a way to deal with leftover pasta by combining it with eggs, cheese, and sun dried tomatoes into a hearty broiled cake of pasta-y goodness. The chicken spezzatini is an incredibly yummy stew with diced tomatoes, onions, celery, carrots, etc.
This week: rigatoni with sausage, peppers, and onions, and chicken saltimbocca

I will also leave you with a list of links I've collected but neglected to blog about.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.: almost all of the results for "phyla" search are creationist!
Metaphor to Action | Cosmic Variance: a physicist poet; just what I want to be
Language Log: Scrupulously avoiding sigma: "Giedd suggests a thought experiment: Imagine trying to assign a population of students to the boys' and girls' locker rooms based solely on height. As boys tend to be taller than girls, one would assign the tallest 50 percent of the students to the boys' locker room and the shortest 50 percent of the students to the girls' locker room. What would happen? While you'd end up with a better-than-random sort, the results would be abysmal, with unacceptably large percentages of students in the wrong place"

Hopefully blogging won't become a seasonal activity for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment