This past week I read The House of Mirth. And while reading this, I loved drawing all the little parallels between The Age of Innocence, The House of Mirth, and the Gossip Girl novels/tv show. Ok, I admit it. Gossip Girl was the reason I read The Age of Innocence in the first place. I swear that somewhere in one of the novels, or maybe the prequel, Serena is holding/reading a copy of The Age of Innocence and this is meant to be significant. But when I went searching the internetz for blogs or articles outlining the parallels, I found astonishingly little.
Almost every article or blog post comparing Edit Wharton and Gossip Girl mentions one or two of the following points:
- The House of Mirth and Gossip Girl both start with a girl in Grand Central Station.
- Lily Bart is kinda like the name Lily Bass, wife of Bart Bass.
- In the television show, the teens' senior play is an adaptation of The Age of Innocence.
- Serena van der Woodsen as Ellen Olenska
- Nate Archibald as Newland Archer
for references, click here: http://delicious.com/ejmankh/houseofmirth