20100830

11 great horror stories

I have no idea where this book came from.  The name in the front says Timbrell, so it could either be from a school or a used bookstore.  In a house full of books, as mine was growing up, it was just there and I read it over and over again.  I recently rediscovered it in a box, and had some good end-of-summer reading time with it.

These eleven stories aren't so much horror stories, as stories of great suspense in chilling settings.  Many of them have to do with the presence of the other-worldly in completely mundane locales.  I have had a really hard time deciding if I have a favorite out of these stories, but I do know that the first one is the one I always read first, and not just because it starts on page one.

 
The first story is The Dunwich Horror by H. P. Lovecraft.  It's the longest story in the collection, and that probably gives it the best chance for drawing the reader in and making you feel comfortable before pulling the rug out from under you.   I wish I could remember what it was like to read that story for the first time, and get the full effect.  Does anyone else remember reading The Dunwich Horror for the first time, or will anyone volunteer to read it and let us know? 

No comments:

Post a Comment