20080202

we need to talk about kevin

In my snotty, hacking sick-with-a-cold state, I managed to find the time to finish reading We Need to Talk about Kevin. It's a novel where, in a series of letters to her husband, the mother of a school-shooter retraces her journey through motherhood and contemplates her responsibility for her son's murderous actions. To some reviewers it seemed to be about human nature and whether a person can be born evil, but to me it seemed much more about self-loathing, and the self-loathing that can be reflected and even amplified between parents and children.

I think I liked it? It was definitely hard to swallow. Which is something the subject matter demands. Simply reading the descriptions of the crimes made me feel trashy and voyeuristic, and I alternately identified with and despised the narrator. If it successfully evoked these feelings in me even while I'm sick, it's prolly well written.

Speaking of self-loathing, that's close to how I feel when I'm sick like this. I'm pissed off and bitter, my face is breaking out, I have no appetite, and I miss being able to actually enjoy things. It's like a virally enforced depression. And I had only just cleared up the last of the congestion from my Christmas season cold. grrrrrrr.

2 comments:

  1. *hugs*

    I feel your pain -- literally. Stay strong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking a lot in the past few days about self-loathing and how it's affected my life in the past few years. mostly because my lenten observance is intended to be going to confession at least once.

    ReplyDelete